Thursday, August 18, 2011

First day of 5th grade.

Last year today, was hard.

I was still heartbroken and hurt. I was still struggling with the whys and the hows and the what nows. Still trying to figure out the boundaries and the lines drawn, trying to make sense of what was left of my relationship with you and trying to grieve the relationship that was.

This year, I'm in a good place, and the picture your mom put up this morning made me smile. I still miss you, and I always will, but moving on and letting go does not mean I forget.

And this year, like all the others before and all the others to come, I wish you have a great school year, and you make good choices, and you build friendships with incredible people that will become your soul sisters with whispers and secrets and that 'catch you when you fall', 'make you laugh so hard you pee in your pants', 'love you so hard you feel so incredibly lucky' way that best friends do.

This year, I am excited and so incredibly proud of you.

This year, I smile and wish you so well.

This year, I cheer from the sidelines.

Quietly.

Appreciatively.

From a distance.

Happy first day of 5th grade, stinker.


"We learn by doing." - Aristotle